Thursday, February 7, 2013
Elmer's Glue Test - Round #1
I have read so many blogger posts about this technique that I really wanted to try it. So, I bought some glue a while ago but didn't have an empty bottle to put it in. I managed to finish up some Seche Vite so now I had a bottle - well sort of... Have you ever tried to clean out a bottle of polish? It is really challenging! I put some acetone in it and let it sit for a week. It clumped up nice in the bottom and I could remove the gunk with a Q-Tip. But, the sides I couldn't reach very well. I had the bright idea to put warm water in there and swirl it around. Well, that was a BIG MISTAKE! It made it so much worse! It made everything that was left in there completely gelatinous and impossible to get out. So, I put more acetone in it and let it sit for another week. That did what it could. I decided to just move forward and fill it with the glue. That was easy enough but the brush had solidified into a stone! Ok, some more acetone to try and fix it. It did ok. I left it in the glue for a while then just used water to soften it up. That worked well. Now, at least everything is usable. Ok, on to the manicure...
I used a pretty thick coat of the glue (at least I thought so). I didn't take any pictures of that because it dries clear and that just isn't very exciting. It does take some time to dry thoroughly. You can tell when it is dry because the sheen changes to a matte finish - it is pretty obvious.
I used 2 coats of OPI Excuse Moi! and 1 coat of Seche Vite. I didn't worry too much about how rough the texture still was as I wasn't planning on wearing this too long.
So, on to the real test. I was very optimistic because the combo of the glue and the Seche seemed to help with chipping. I didn't have too much after 3 days of wear. I was very eager to see what would happen.
This is what we all hope for when trying this technique:
This was pretty easy to pull up. The disappointing thing is that this was the case for only 2 nails. That is a 20% success rate. Not too good.
This is what the other 8 looked like when trying to take the polish off:
I had to really chip at them! The good news is that the glue acted as a great protectant and my nails came out of it looking just fine.
So, I am not giving up on this technique. I will try again and I will master it! Someday! I will keep you all posted to my efforts on this one...
Thanks for visiting!