-->

Monday, October 21, 2013

Halloween Nails - Mummies

Today I have an awesome manicure, if I do say so myself.  LOL!  I am so proud of myself for doing this!  I have mentioned numerous time that I am not the most creative person, but this idea came to me while looking at a lot of photos of Mummy Manicures.  Really, my husband challenged me on this one.  I had shown him another mummy manicure I had seen on Pinterest and he said I could come up with something better than that...he didn't like the color scheme of what I had shown him and reminded me to be "factual" on what they look like.  Insert reference to Mumm-Ra from ThunderCats here.  Sometimes, he is just a dork - but I love him.

Let's get to it...
The polish rundown:

  • Sinful Colors Black on Black  - 1 coat as a base color
  • Sinful Colors Secret Admirer - 1 coat over black for a black shimmer effect
  • Sephora by OPI White Blasted - 1 coat for mummy wrappings
  • Pure Ice Superstar! - white for eyes
  • Wet 'n Wild Red Red - red for eyes
  • Seche Vite - top coat
I need to get better at taking photos during the creation phase.  I usually become so consumed with getting it to look right, that I forget.
I started with Sinful Colors Black on Black for a base color (1 coat).  I then put 1 coat of Sinful Colors Secret Admirer on top.  Then a coat of Seche Vite to seal it up.  Once that was VERY dry, I started the taping.  I did each nail individually to make sure I could pay enough attention to what I was doing.  I started with laying a strip of scotch tape down where the eye strip would be.  I then used striping tape to make a few wrap lines.  Once that was down, I used 1 coat of Sephora by OPI White Blasted, to make the "wrap".  I wanted that to look kind of weathered, which is why I chose a crackle polish.  While that was drying (crackle dries very fast!), I pulled the tape up.  The striping tape came up pretty easily.  Here is an interesting tid-bit: the crackle formula makes scotch tape extremely brittle!  It would not pull up easily, but I really liked the effect so I worked at it.
I added white dots for eyes.  Once those were dry, I added red dots on top.  When that was dry, I added the Seche Vite as a top coat.  I always have trouble with bleeding using colors for dots with the Seche Vite, so I made sure they were dry before adding the top coat.
I could not be more pleased with how these turned out!  I'll keep these on for a while to continue to admire them!


post signature

Take a look at the other Halloween nails in this challenge:

No comments :

Post a Comment